Heavy topic for me today. It’s a new era in our household. Isla is off to Kindergarten on Tuesday after 5 and 1/2 years of being my sidekick all day every day. In those first months of Motherhood, I never could have imagined my sweet baby would one day be off to her first day of school, but alas, here we are. I’m excited for her and I think she is ready for the challenge, but still….Wahhhhhh!!! I’m feeling a little lost. It has me thinking about not only the big changes she is about to experience but those that I myself will experience too. I’m sure I’m late to the party on this and it is surely a “thing” already, but I decided that I should look at it as the opportunity to make some new routines…back to school resolutions!
- Eat dinner together at the table. Summer activities have us all over the map and often we eat dinner on the fly or at different times from one another. Johnny teaches lessons in the evening once the school year begins, but I want to make it a point for us to eat dinner together at the table at least twice a week.
- Establish a bedtime time and routine. Because full disclosure, we’ve NEVER done this and it needs to happen.
- Pick out Isla’s clothes and plan for lunch the night before. If you have young daughters, chances are you too struggle with the outfit choices in the mornings. Isla has earned the nickname “Molasses” from me because getting ready and out the door can be excruciating. My goal is to have clothes laid out so that the morning can move more seamlessly.
- Establish designated screen time versus free play and other activities outside of school.
- Cliche, but true. WORKOUT. I was doing team workouts at Lifetime Fitness prior to the start of the horse show season. I’d go to a 6 am class and be home before anyone else was up. As the Summer wore on and the schedule got more hectic, the workouts ceased. Since Isla will be on a schedule, I want to get on one too. Working out is going on top of the list. I feel better, I ride better, it’s just all better.
- WORK: A few hours of uninterrupted productive time is something I am really looking forward to having. Because I’m home, it is hard to define when I need to be getting work done versus regular household stuff that can really consume the time. I very much want to grow this business and be the best I can be at all of my roles. Organization updates here I come.
- Ride: I would love to have a regularly scheduled time to ride my horse each day. I would thrive on having a routine, which isn’t always feasible for me. For you, this could be any type of activity that you love to do and would like to have a designated time for every day.
- Read. Actual books that I can hold in my hands and flip the pages. I have a stack waiting.
Whether you’ll be laughing, crying, or both on the first day back to school, I wish you the best! Wish me luck in return! (insert nail biting emoji)
I would love to hear about the off to school or back to school changes that take place in your homes and how you handle them. Drop me a comment!
ONE MORE THING! A little back to school organization tip. GET Mabel’s Labels!!! I love these labels for all of Isla’s things – notebooks, folders, water bottles, headphones, clothes, EVERYthing!!!
Last week of Summer fun