Hello Fabulous Friends!
As I mentioned in my recent Instagram post, it’s a great time to reevaluate our horses’ wellness plan. Spring is here and many of you are gearing up to enjoy the summer with your equine partners. As riders, owners, trainers, and all parts of the team that make a successful horse, it is always in our best interest to make sure our horses are at optimum health to perform happily for us. That being said, here is a detail of the kind of things that we include on our wellness schedule. Everyone’s routines will vary based on their professionals’ recommendations, horses use, location, and other differing factors specific to your own situation. If nothing else, this is simply a good opportunity to bring awareness to your horses’ health and wellness in whatever capacity of need.
- Fecal Egg Count – possible Deworming with Ivermectin & Praziquantel
- Vaccinations (including but not limited to Flu/Rhino, Rabies, Strangles, EEE (Eastern equine encephalomyelitis), WEE (western equine encephalomyelitis), & Tetanus.
- Coggins Test
- Dental care
- Adequan Series
- Fecal Egg Count – Possibly Deworming with Ivermectin and Praziquantel.
- Dental care as needed
- Adequan Series
Other things to consider:
- Deworming in June/July with Fenbendazole or Pyrantel Pamoate
- Legend (Monthly)
- Farrier care (Every 4-6 weeks)
- Joint Maintenence (as needed – check regularly)
- Check saddle fit with a professional
- Record body condition throughout the year in photos
- Consult with a nutritionist from your local feed store to assess best practice for feeding based on individual horses needs
- Chiropractic Care/Acupuncture/or other therapies
- Geriatric Screening if applicable
For more details on some of these practices, I encourage you to read a post I wrote over the winter during the Winter Equestrian Festival in Wellington. I attended a Lunch & Learn dedicated to wellness in the aging performance horse. I had a lot of great takeaways from it! Here is that post.
Again, I’m not a vet or a specialist, just a manager and advocate for a great group of horses that I want feeling their best!
I hope that no matter what you have planned for your horses this summer, whether it be trail riding, fox hunting, local shows, or elite competitions, you have a fabulous season with your equine partners!